When choosing a moissanite engagement rings, here are some factors to consider:
- Quality: Like diamonds, moissanite stones can vary in quality. Look for a moissanite stone that is of high quality and has excellent colour and clarity. Moissanite stones are typically graded on a scale from D to K, with D being the highest quality and K being the lowest.
- Cut: The cut of a moissanite stone can affect its brilliance and sparkle. Look for a stone that has a high-quality cut with good symmetry and proportions.
- Size and shape: Moissanite stones come in a range of sizes and shapes, from round to oval to pear-shaped. Consider the style of the ring you’re looking for and choose a stone size and shape that complements it.
- Colour: Moissanite stones can range in colour from near-colourless to faintly tinted. Look for a stone with a colour that complements the setting of the ring.
- Certification: If you’re purchasing a moissanite stone, make sure it comes with a certificate of authenticity from a reputable laboratory, such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA).
- Price: Moissanite stones are often less expensive than diamonds, but the price can still vary depending on the size, quality, and shape of the stone. Determine your budget and choose a moissanite stone that fits within it.
- Personal preference: Finally, choose a moissanite stone that reflects your personal style and preferences. Moissanite stones can be a great alternative to diamonds, and offer their own unique beauty and sparkle.
- Durability: Moissanite is a very durable gemstone, making it a good choice for daily wear. It’s rated a 9.25 on the Mohs scale of hardness, making it nearly as hard as a diamond.
- Sustainability: Moissanite is a sustainable alternative to diamonds, as it is created in a lab rather than mined from the earth. This can be a great option for those looking for an
eco-friendly or ethical option.
- Reflection and dispersion: Moissanite has a high refractive index, meaning it reflects light well and has a lot of sparkle. It also has high dispersion, which means it separates light into its spectral colours, creating a “rainbow” effect.
- Heat resistance: Moissanite is highly heat-resistant, which means it can withstand high temperatures without getting damaged. This can be a great option for those who frequently expose their jewellery to heat or light.
- Consistency: Because moissanite is created in a lab, it has a consistent quality and appearance. This can be a great option for those looking for a stone that is uniform in colour, clarity, and other factors.
- Setting: The setting of the moissanite stone can affect its appearance and durability. Make sure to choose a setting that will hold the stone securely and protect it from damage.
- Matching: If you’re purchasing a moissanite stone to match an existing piece of jewellery, make sure to choose a stone that matches in colour and size.
- Care: Moissanite stones require regular cleaning and care to maintain their brilliance and sparkle. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s care instructions or consult a jeweller for guidance.
- Brand: Consider purchasing a moissanite stone from a reputable brand or jeweller, as they may offer a warranty or guarantee on the quality of the stone.
- Comparison to diamonds: While moissanite stones can be a great alternative to diamonds, they are not the same as diamonds. Make sure to compare the appearance and characteristics of moissanite to diamonds before making a purchase, to ensure it’s the right choice for you.